Monday, July 25, 2022

Why I submit my poems to literary magazines?

(Image is from 11 Indie Magazines You Be Reading by Steve Watson, Electric Lit, January 21, 2020)

The following is an excerpt from my first post on my Ko-fi page, I'm a Litmag Freak*:
Now, why do I submit to literary magazines? Aside from the fact that I love reading and writing poetry, let me quote from the following two articles about literary magazines: 
From The New Yorker’s The Persistence of Litmags by Stephanie Burt (July 7, 2015): 
“A little magazine, as Jonathan Farmer, of At Length, explains, ‘depends on creating a community.’” (Incidentally, this article mentions the magazine DIAGRAM that has published two poems of mine.) 
From CNN Style’s Long-standing literary magazines are struggling to stay afloat. Where do they go from here? by Leah Asmelash (February 10, 2022): 
“The magazines are a runway, where new literary styles are tested and emerge. New voices break through.” (Incidentally, this article also mentions Protean magazine that likewise published a poem of mine.) 
So I submit to literary magazines because I want to belong to an international community of writers and have my small voice heard once in a while – subject to the discernment and mercy of editors.

*Initially, I wanted to use "junkie" instead of "freak" but I thought the former ain't "wholesome enough" for Ko-fi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment