Sunday, July 31, 2022

Nick Joaquin’s “Manila, My Manila” in Japanese

Check out here the book cover of the Japanese edition of Nick Joaquin’s “Manila, My Manila”:


(Photo courtesy of Katayama Takashi, who borrowed the book from Shinjuku City Library last July 30, 2022.)

The design uses the 18th Century Map of Manila City created by Antonio Fernandez de Roxas in 1713. The translators of this Japanese edition are Nobuhiko Hashimoto and Masanobu Sawada. It was released by Akashi Shoten publishing company in 2005.

“Manila, My Manila” was originally published as “Manila, My Manila: A History for the Young” by Vera-Reyes, Inc. in 1990. It was republished in its current title by The Bookmark Inc. in 1999.

Nick Joaquin (May 4, 1917 – April 29, 2004), who also went by the penname Quijano de Manila. was awarded the title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature in 1976.

You can read a review of “Manila, My Manila” by Hidde Van der Wall in Kritika Kultura Vol.   No.33/34 (2019): The City as Nation: NickJoaquin’s Manila, My Manila as Nationalist History.



No comments:

Post a Comment